Friday, July 20, 2007

The BEST Lobster Roll



I had occasion to drive up to Maine on Monday. I took a leisurely route along Rte 202 all the way to Augusta. Then I came back down via Portland, and Rte 1, with the requisite stop at L.L. Bean. I got the tag end of their sale, which has been going on for two months. I'm not into shopping, so I hit the fishing section and the sale tables, then outta there. I picked up a pair of low-quarter hiking shoes for $39.00 before the ME tax. so I was happy. I stopped for ice cream in Old Orchard Beach, then drove right down the main thoroughfare where the crowds are. I remembered why Old Orchard is NOT my favorite place in Maine to be. I much prefer the less visited places, more out of the way, like Pemaquid Point. I heard alot of Francais! I mean ALOT! The place was thick with Quebecoise. After I made it past Old Orchard, I continued on and found "Day's Take-out". Here you will find the best lobster roll around. No lettuce, not too much mayo, just a lot of big chunks of lobster meat. Just the way I like it!
I sat at a picnic table overlooking the salt marsh out back. The sun was still quite high, with barely a breeze. I sucked the marrow out of that moment for sure. I just love the salt air, the smells, the sounds, everything....except too many people. Luckily there were not many people at Day's.

No comments: