Saturday, February 09, 2008

Who Let the Dogs Out?


I went back to the site where the doe had been killed. No more canine activity, which leads me to believe that it was dogs that took the doe down. I don't think coyotes would leave a kill like this. There is still so much left of the carcass. I noticed a lot of bird tracks around the carcass, crows I imagine. I took a hemlock bough and swept over all the footprints, so that I can return tomorrow to see what comes by.

The photo is also from yesterday, these are Fisher tracks.....not Fisher Cat, since Fisher's are not cats, but members of the Mustelidae (Marten)family. I would expect Fisher traffic to the dead deer as well. This picture was taken farther a field, during my hike. Notice the prints show five pads which Fisher have on both their front and hind feet. One night while I was hiking, I surprised a Fisher who was in a tree along the trail. We exchanged pleasantries and I continued on down the trail. Wearing a headlamp often provides these great opportunities on night time hikes. Try it!

No comments: