Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's Getting Warmer

Finally! It's warmer out this morning than it has been in many days. I will enjoy taking a bike ride through JB Starkey park later on. Yesterday I ventured into the park for a hike. In the sun, I fell to the temptation of laying down on the soft sand and sucking in the Vitamin D. Perfect. After a while, I got up albeit alittle dazed from the hypnotic affects that basking can bring. My goal was to find sleeping snakes, but I never did find any. Instead, I found this peculiar fungus on many of the trees, from Live Oaks, to Cypress. I had not seen this fungus before, and wondered if it was something new to the area. I did find several small Armadillos rooting around the Saw Palmettos. They were however too fast for me to capture on film. Usually they are much slower, or I am much faster. I saw a wren, and heard several warblers. My birding skills are not honed well enough to know all the sounds, so I can't always identify the bird by its song. However, I can tell the difference between warbler songs, and say a Catbird, or a Red Wing Blackbird.

These Hooded Mergansers were swimming on the pond behind my mom's house. They have been coming to the pond every day. Note that the males are rallying for the females attention. These guys would to do a funny thing with their crests, raising and lowering their heads in a funky, jerky stretch.These are Cypress trees, large exposed roots plunging into the water. This area provides many artistic opportunites for photography, or painting, mmmm perhaps I will be inspired to create a watercolor.

Now for the bad news many animals have died this week due to the continued cold. Sea Turtles, Manatees, and thousands of fish have washed up on local shores. Strawberry and Kumquat crops have been decimated. A very sad state of affairs here in Florida.

No comments: