Monday, June 28, 2010

The NHPA Convention/Keene


















The NHPA Police Convention was held at the Dillant-Hopkins airport last weekend. It was a scorcher of a day. Not as many people in attendance. But the folks that did show up had a good time. There were helicopter rides, which I have to say were the best part. A climbing wall, and other activities for the kids to do. Unfortunately not many kids. All the fitness events were cancelled due to lack of interest. I think there were more retirees present than younger officers. I guess camraderie isn't what it used to be. I have to say this year's convention was a disappointment on a few levels; few vendors, very limited menu of hot dogs, chicken, and hamburgers. No salad, no watermelon, no cheese for the burgers? What's up with that? Of course the Budweiser beer truck was well attended, with four taps, but I'm certain there was plenty of beer left over. The popcorn popper, didn't even work! Chloe, pictured above was all set to hand out copious bags. Poor girl had to leave her post and drink beer instead.
It was good to see some of the older( no offense Hal, Larry, and Randy) retirees. The whole event wrapped up with a raffle. I had hoped to win the Kel-Tec 9mm handgun, but it was not to be. Instead, I won a waffle cone maker, which I could not give away. I tried to trade with the guy who won the Kel-Tec, but he wasn't having it. I also tried to trade with my friend, Joanna who won a tent. She wasn't having it either, and I had to ask myself; Joanna camping out in a tent? Ain't happenin. So I'm thinking some lucky relative will receive my wonderful prize, for Christmas, a birthday, or for no reason at all.
I hope the next time Keene hosts the convention they'll ask me to help out. I thought this one was an embarassment to our PD. I didn't even know about the banquet Friday night, until Saturday! Yikes! The whole thing just seemed thrown together at the last minute. Too bad. I have many more photos than will fit on this post, so if anyone is interested, email me at mjfish094@yahoo.com.


1 comment:

deadmendotelltales said...

A motley crew to say the least! Fortunately, I took the picture (with Mary's camera), or else that motley crew would have looked much worse! Amazing how old we have become. All of us except for Mary… she got younger and better looking! Must be the Walpole fountain of youth. But, alas... despite rumors to the contrary, Mary will NOT be proving this by going naked in her next blog. Bummer! -Hal