Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nothing but Snow

This is my girl, Evvy. This is her favorite season. Most days she can be found rooting through the snow like a Skimmer. On snowmobile trails she is nothing but a black blur. We often go out snowshoeing, using the snowmobile trails only to pass from one area to another, or when I need a break. I've been breaking trails near my house. Now I'm re-breaking them. This morning, I re-broke a trail I call John Stevens loop. Mr. Stevens is gone now, but his adirondack style cabin still exists. We went up there, and made a nice track down to Steven's house, where his wife still lives. I knocked on her door, and her daughter(I think) answered. I let her know what I had done. As she was on the phone, she gave me a thumbs up. I know that Mrs. Stevens, who is in her nineties, attempted to find the cabin. I found her tracks, not quite making anywhere near the cabin. It appeared she walked into the woods, from her house, but made a circle. So I
made a very distinct and easy to pass, trail to the cabin. I made the trail loop back towards Steven's house, and also back to Derry Hill Rd. I didn't come across any recent deer tracks, but there are some along the snowmobile trail.

What I wouldn't give for a snowmobile right now! The club trails are well maintained around Walpole. The snow is perfect, fluffy with a packed base. This view is of the sunset, taken from Pinnacle Equipment. I went down there today, to pick up a donation they made to a fund raiser I'm doing. I looked over the new machines, and just could not believe you have to pay $10,000, for a snowmobile. Indeed a luxury or pure folly, nevertheless I ogled.

No comments: