Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sunapee-Greenway continues

Sunday, February 20th my sister Kim, and I took a path from Cold Spring pond in Stoddard, up to Jackson Hill. The weather could not have been more perfect, bright sunshine and blue skies.

This photo is near the top of Jackson Hill, where the S-G trail intersects with the snowmobile trail
"F". We were not confused, despite this confusing sign.

My intention was to find Fox Brook campsite via the S-G trail. We walked initially up an old woods road until we reached a gate, and an intersection. I assumed the S-G trail was here, but I didn't find any of the white swatch marks on the trees. So we took the trail that proceeded straight up hill. We walked through hardwood forest for the most part. One thing I noticed right away, no sign of any animal activity; no tracks, no sounds, not even birds, or squirrels. There were plentiful oaks, and beech trees, not very many striped maple( a.k.a Moose Maple) I had hoped I would at least see some deer and moose tracks.

My sister attempts to tame Evvy, the wild beast.











We continued along until we reached a high open area. This spot is where I had left off, on my last hike on the S-G trail; Hubbard Hill. We followed the S-G across the top of Hubbard in the direction of Pitcher Mt. I knew there would be a trail to the right that breaks away from the G-S trail and descends toward Cold Spring Pond. I did not know for sure if the trail would lead back to the trail we came up, but it made sense.

Sure enough we found the gate where we encountered the first intersection of trails. We made it back to our cars without incident. I would say the round trip hike was at least four miles. I'm thinking my next hike will be somewhere around Center Pond where there should be some Moose and Deer yards.


No comments: