Monday, June 11, 2012

Up to Stevens Cabin

1448hr  Derry Hill Rd Walpole   20 deg. C  Elev. 229m
I hiked up to Stevens cabin with Evvy this afternoon.  I was curious to see how the old cabin fared in the recent storm. There were sections of  trail up to the cabin that had been completely washed of sticks, and pine needles.  But there was no serious erosion anywhere. Long extinct beaver ponds were swollen, and bullfrogs hollered the familiar “gar-rump”. The cabin itself was just as solid as could be. No damage whatsoever.  I took the liberty of sweeping inside the cabin. I thought John Stevens might have appreciated it, though he’s been gone for years now. Evvy was quite certain she had found some mice under the bunk bed. The mice or chipmunks were safely holed up within the enclosed bed frame..
I continued to look for evidence of white tail deer Odocoileus virginianus, because I feel strongly the population in the immediate area has declined steadily the last ten years. I found one set of deer tracks but that was it.
I found a pile of leaf litter, and pine needles heaped up, and concluded a Bobcat had been by.  Nearby scat confirmed this.   Perhaps the area is a Bobcat litter box, where he returns to.  I will plan to set up a camera there in hopes of catching the hard evidence. I have one camera set up near the edge of a recently created hay field.  Last year, I watched as hunter after hunter lay in wait there.  Several deer were taken in that field alone.

No comments: