Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Who Knew Mt Ascutney Has an Auto Road?

Mt Ascutney does have an auto road by Jove. I happened upon whilst out on my motorcycle last Sunday. It was a bittersweet day. I had sold my grand piano for $500. I put the cash in the pocket of my chaps, and off I went. After the beautiful four mile ride up the mountain, I took off the chaps and stowed them in my saddlebags. Didn't give it another thought. I walked the .7 mile to the summit of Mt. Ascutney. Spent about a half hour up there, and exploring nearby trails. The mountain is a 2000 footer for those keeping track. I could see Mt Monadnock to the east, and the Berkshires to the southwest. The view everywhere was incredible and well worth the trip.

When I got home, I once again took off the chaps. I emptied all my pockets as I usually do at the end of the day. No $500! That's right. Was I upset, and disappointed, and angry. But easy come, easy go right? Hopefully the money wound up in the pockets of someone who needed it more than I do. I still thanked God for the wonderful day of riding, and finding that mountain. I shall go there more often since it's practically in my back yard.

No comments: