Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bald Mt, overlooking.....everything!!! OMG


Today I ventured over to Willard Pond, in Antrim(I always think of it as Hancock). This area is part of the dePierrefeu-Willard Pond Wildlife Sanctuary, (NH Audobon Society). I took the Tamposi Trail to the top. Very strenuous, and not for the weak of heart. I was huffing and puffing! There are some steep parts, but the view from the top is well worth the workout. Even at 3 in the afternoon, the sun was so warm on my face. I had this beautiful place all to myself. I took the Bald Mt trail down, then Tudor trail back to the parking lot. A word of caution, the trails are marked with yellow pieces of plastic on the Temposi Trail, and red plastic on the Bald Mt trail. The markers were not always easy to see(partly because of the foliage), but mostly because they were spread out. I had to do some searching around the top to locate the Bald Mt trail back.

The trail map recommends 2-2.5 hrs. for both trails, but I did not come close to that. I brought a walking stick, and found it very useful. There are plenty of large glacial eratics to crawl around and under. Large boulder fields cover the eastern slope toward the pond. There are awesome views of Crotched Mt., and Mt. Monadnock with Silver Lake below. I couldn't have asked for a better time, or place to be today.

No comments: