Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cabin in the Woods


This little cabin is well into the woods on Monadnock Conservancy land. Every time I've visited, I check to see that it's still in good order. It has never been vandalized or even chewed on by porcupines. In fact, there is only a screen door between in the inside and the outside. One day I closed the inner door, figuring I was being a help. A few days later I returned to find the inner door was now held open by a small piece of firewood. The owner apparently wants the door open. Surprisingly, the cabin is no worse for the wear. Inside, there is a big wood stove, two pair of snowshoes, two bunks, a small table with hours of melted wax piled up from candles long since burned out. There is a neat trail leading away from the cabin, through a fairytale forest of older White Pines. The landscape changes to ledgy granite hilltop, and hardwoods. A most interesting and inviting stand of young Sugar Maples. Always on the lookout for deer, I spotted a great scraping. I thought it ironic the buck should be on conservancy land, and not mine! Oh well, next Wednesday I will be out on my land. I've chosen a spot along a stone wall. I'll sit out there and make my silly sounds(bleats), that actually do bring deer in. It actually has worked for me, but no bucks. Maybe I'm bleating out of key?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.