Sunday, November 11, 2007

Scary Road to a Nice Trail


Today I bought a book on Vermont trails. So I decided to "take a hike" in nearby Westminster West. It took me nearly an hour to find the road I needed to take to reach another road/trail to the trailhead. The journey took me along a dirt road, and then to a not so great logging road, where people were living in squalor! It was like driving somewhere through a scene in the movie, "Deliverence". There were weird stenciled signs warning of Chernobyl Vermont, and Evacuation Zone. The photo with the little piece of heaven you see, was littered with everything under the sun. There was even a scarecrow dressed up in gas mask, and radiation warning signs. I got the feeling that either the person who lives in "there" was really eccentric, or there was a psychopath in there. It was creepy. I passed travel trailers, that appear to be inhabited. Mind you, I didn't see any electrical wires overhead, no telephone poles. At the end of the road, there is a more normal looking house, also with no electricity! I quickly backed out of this guys' driveway and continued down the road a little further, bearing left. Ah, finally the trailhead to "The Pinnacle". By the time I found this place, it was too late to do any decent exploring/hiking, but at least I know how to get there. I did have the benefit of a beautiful sunset. The trailhead faces west, and is mostly upland, hardwood forest with lots and lots of ledgy granite. I walked down "Paul's Ledges" trail for about twenty minutes, then walked back because I didn't want to be out there in Deliverence.....alone, .....in the dark....no worries, I was armed as usual. I'll go back there another day, earlier.

2 comments:

jscarve said...

Hi Mary,
I'm your "step cousin" in Vermont.
My mom....let's call her Mrs. "C", sent me your blog address for whatever reason. I am sure she has some underlying reason, Moms usually do.
In any case it's nice to see that you are enjoying all that your area has to offer. I haven't been in the Keene area in a long time, but it was nice to see some of the sites I am missing.
Jeff

Natural Eye Artistry said...

Hi Jeff, I would write back but you need to send me your email address. You can send it to my direct email address, loraxII@hotmail.com