Friday, June 27, 2008



There are mound after mound of these red ants on the sandy soiled hillsides in my area. In fact some of these ants are right in my front yard! Today I walked up Sheep Hill, which is due west of my house. The top of the hill has a lot of disturbed soil, with White Pines thriving. I saw many of these red ant mounds. The camera is alittle shaky because I couldn't stand in one place without the ants crawling on to my boots. I'm thinking a person, or animal could be quickly covered by ants in a matter of seconds if they stood even close to these ant hills. THAT is creepy! I didn't hang around long enough to see if they would bite, but I assume they would.
Ant bites not only hurt but if you have a tendency to be allergic to insect bites, these buggers will make you itch, and may even leave a scar.

No comments: