Monday, July 07, 2008

Toadstool? or Mushroom?


I read somewhere that brown fungi are "Toadstools", and white fungi are mushrooms. Who knows? I think everything with a caps, and stalks, are mushrooms. This fine speciment is growing very close to my compost pile. I don't have my shroom identification book right here, but I'm fairly certain that this mushroom is poisonous. I say that because it has a veil developing around the fringe of the cap, and a fringy ring around the stalk. I didn't want to pick the fungi just to identify it so, I will need to wait a bit longer to properly figure its true identification. One of the best ways to "I.D." a mushroom is by its spore print. Unfortunately to do a sporeprint, you have to remove the cap, destroying the mushroom. I'll take another picture when the mushroom has fully effloresced. At the moment this fungi is about 4" tall, with a thick meaty cap about 3-4" across.

No comments: