Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Baby Loons On Granite Lake


How exciting to tell you that for the first time, there is a nesting pair of Loons on Granite Lake. They chose to nest on the east side of the only island at the lake.  Floating signs were put up to keep people from disturbing the birds.  Finally, two beautiful black fuzz balls hatched!  Now the whole Loon family often floats about right in front of our cottage.  We can watch mom and dad feeding the  two little ones.  Both adults will dive down, leaving the two babies bobbing in the waves.  I worry about their safety as boats fly by carelessly.  One time the mother saw, or heard a boat coming.  She made a sound, then she and the babies dove down beneath the water to avoid being run over by the boat.  I just breathed a sigh of relief when they all popped right back up.

The night of the 4th of July, was especially stressful because there were numerous fireworks going off all around the lake.  I could see one adult Loon swimming out front of the camp, and moving toward Ewing's old place.  I never saw the other Loon, or the babies.  I thought for sure they had been frightened to calamity.  The next day, my mom called me to say they were all fine.  I was so happy to hear that.  I went up later on the 5th, and watched the Loons endlessly.
Mom and dad are wonderful parents, very protective and ever watchful.  I hope they return to Granite Lake for years to come.

No comments: