Monday, June 29, 2009

The Making of an Adventure




After steady rainfall this morning, I was pretty discouraged that we'd have a sunny day.  So, I decided to find some sun. I checked the weather via internet, and saw that there was a break in the soggy weather, to the east.  I got the dogs squared away, and off I went.  I didn't take a straight path either, I took a roundabout route.  I stopped at Carr Store in Dublin, for a soda. I noticed there were several large moths on the outside wall of the store.  Someone had put up a sign asking that people not touch the moths.  I took the opportunity to take a picture of the Luna moth.  I have seen several this summer so far.

Onward....I took Rte 111 over toward Salem.  I saw a sign for "America's Stonehenge" and decided to check it out.  I have been to Stonehenge in England, so I was really curious to see how America's stonehenge stacked up.  I'm alittle skeptical after walking the grounds.  Supposedly there are large monoliths configured in a vast circle on top of "Mystery Hill".  The stones are arranged to indicate the seasonal direction of the equinoxes, and solstices, plus sunsets and sunrises.  The monoliths are nowhere near the size of those in England.   What I saw were many stone walls that were in a circle.  Brush and trees had been cleared in each navigational direction, NSEW with a large boulder at the end what I thought of as a shooting lane.  In the center of all this were piles of rocks seemingly arranged randomly.  But the story goes that the "chambers" face south.
There are many chambers barely big enough for a person to sit inside.  Then there is a tunnel that you can walk through, and it's kind of creepy and dark.  I looked for those bats, but didn't find them.

After exploring the America's Stonehenge I concluded that this was just an eccentric's way of making cool little caves out of piles of rocks.  They say that the underground railroad ran through the property, moving slaves to freedom.  

After leaving the stone fiasco, I headed to the coast and popped out at Salisbury Beach.  The sun was shining!  and it was HOT, believe it or not.  I was psyched, and inhaled deeply the wonderful salt air.  I drove up Rte 1 through Seabrook where I found the little harbor.   The Seabrook power plant was in the background, but I left that out.  I noticed that off in the distance the sky was a horrible greenish dark gray color....more thunder and rain.   No matter, I cruised along at a leisurely pace.  I stopped to look down the beach which was nearly void of people.  But there were some hardy folks in the water...brrrr   The lifeguards were all huddled up on their stands wrapped in red fleece blankets.  Discouraged surfers had been in and out of the waves.  I couldn't image it being much fun, nothing like Hawaii.  Who knows?  I drove up past the tacky backdrop of the arcades, and fried dough stands of Hampton.  Lots of "vacancy" signs on seaside motels and cabins.  I stopped at the Beach Plum for a decadent Lobster roll, and was tempted by the ice cream, but I resisted.   I think it was around 3 by then so I decided to head back, because the dogs would need feeding and their evening walk.  I turned back toward the west, and that eerie sky.  Thankfully, I went through only one downpour, and it lasted only a few minutes.  By the time I got home, the sun was out there with a thunderstorm looming to the west.  I fed the dogs, and took them out for a 2 mile walk up Derry Hill.  The thunder rolled but never did the storm make it to Christian Hollow.  Perfect.

No comments: