Saturday, June 06, 2009

Flowers On The Connecticut



What a day to be on the river.  After tending to all the animals I'm watching this weekend, I threw my kayak onto the truck and headed for River Rd. in Westmoreland.  The drive there is by itself picture perfect the whole way.  But once on the river, I saw one wonder after another.  The river seemed perfectly still, and nearly flat.  I hugged the west shore for my paddle upstream.  I passed a muskrat swimming stealthily along.  I was happy to not see alot of garbage, though the silt may cover much of it.  I paddled up for about an hour and a half, then turned around for the return.  Beautiful flowering trees relinquished a sweet smell as an easy breeze picked up.  Cottony seeds rained down from Maples and covered the water like snow(if snow could cover water).  I saw a few Forget-me-nots, and small stands of Yellow Iris.  I looked for Scarlet Flower but didn't see any.

My original plan was to do some fishing, but in my haste to get going, I forget my pole!  Oh well, I did find some spots I'd like to return to for fishing.  I found that the west side of the river tended to be more silty, while my return trip was more rocky.  That is where I hope to do some fishing next time.  I saw fish swimming along, so I'm optimistic there is something to fish for.

I stuck my feet over the sides of my kayak and "cooled my heels".  It was so relaxing to just drift along, soaking up the sun.   After housting the kayak back onto my truck, I made a stop at "Stuart and John's Sugar House" for an ice cream.....my addiction.

No comments: