Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What Happens when you Lose to a Stanchion


On Monday, I stopped by my neighbor's Holstein dairy farm.   There's always something doin, from fixing the Harrow, to catching cows.  Anyway, on this day they were moving some young cows around inside the barn(s).   I was game for this adventure, and found that it was alot harder than I imagined!  In fact it was a great workout, trying to pull these young lasses into their new location, and into their respective stanchions.  Until...  I was pulling a lively cow's head through a stanchion using a rope that was around her head and neck.   I got her head through the stanchion, then the rest of her came barreling through as well.  It wasn't pretty.  The cow plowed through, and past me.  The stanchion broke apart and cracked me squarely in the nose.   For a moment, everyone just froze and looked at me.   It didn't really hurt all that much at the time, but the bleeding was most dramatic.  Nevertheless, I wanted to continue to move these cows.  After pinching my nose for several minutes, until the bleeding stopped, I rejoined the "cow catching" game.  I had alot of fun, and worked up a good sweat.  As for the farmers, they got a good laugh, and were grateful for the extra hand.  

The bruising around my eyes has progressed over the last days, looking much worse than it really is.  I can't wait for my next impromptu visit to the farm!

No comments: