Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Watch Your Step!

Evvy and I went to the lower Fay Falls this morning. I knew she would love the great pools at the bottom of the falls, and she did.  The cold water invigorates her so much, she runs willy-nilly up and down the banks.  It matters not how slippery the rocks are, and they are very slick.  Evvy falls into the water, and jumps right back up.  The unfortunate part is that she wants to include me in her frolicking.  She bounds toward me, and then jumps straight up my side.  I get soaked to the skin, and wonder if coming to the falls was such a great idea after all.  But I do enjoy watching her friskiness.  I should be so energetic.  Here she is taking a break from her swim.

Is it me? Or are there zillions of Red Efts under foot?  It seems like there are more around this year for some reason.  Especially after alot of rain, I find myself doing a dance of sorts when walking through the woods.  I don't want to step on these fragile salamanders, so I sometimes have to jump at the last second to avoid squishing them.



The third photo is a piece of very wet wood, that has turned a bluish-green in the decomp process.  The neat thing about it is, if you let is dry out and throw a chunk into your fireplace, you will see some cool colors burn forth.  Just a little tidbit for your cocktail dairy.

There are gobs of Partridge Berries out now for you crafters.  If you put a bunch of berries and the leaves into a clear glass globe jar, they make a nice centerpiece.  Be sure to keep some water in there, and put a tightly sealed top on.  Oh, and another tidbit....if you chew on the leaves, they taste like the Teaberry gum you can get at the Vermont General Store.  
Who knew?!

No comments: