Thursday, June 18, 2009

NIce day to Just Curl Up


Merle has the right idea I think. Today and the next several days, are forecasted to be drizzly, and gray. So Merle, and my other furry creatures have found their respective nests to curl up in. I think I may find mine too.

Despite the creepy weather, Evvy and I did get out for our hike very early this morning before the hard rain started. Up over Sheep Hill, through the woods recently logged with new skidder paths. We made our way to the Rapids Rd. which is also the NH Snowmobile trail #5 I think. This trail can take you to the Wentworth Rd. to the NW, or what is called "Wind Gate" to the South, or you can take a side trip along the Hooper Hill Hopper trail toward the north, and eventually to Derry Hill Rd.
We chose to take the Rapids Rd. back toward Wind Gate which is also known as the Faulkner Forest Conservation area. Evvy located a nest of sparrows on the ground, but thankfully let them be. I located the Turkey nest I had spoken of in a previous post. There were several broken eggs in the nest. No sign of a Turkey anywhere. I'm going to guess that the eggs did not hatch. Surely if they had, the hen would have removed the eggshells. So perhaps the eggs were eaten, or just died. When I first found the nest, there were 14 eggs inside. Today there were about 8 broken eggs.

One good thing about hiking in the rain; the mosquitos are much less of an annoyance. Evvy doesn't care what the weather is, she loves romping around the woods looking for chipmunks, and deep mud puddles.

No comments: