Thursday, June 04, 2009

Evvy and her mud



Last night at about 9:00 p.m. my friends and me were watching some large bucks grazing in a field.  They had just the start of new antlers showing.  There were three really good sized bucks, and one smaller one.  We figured there would be one for each of us come this fall.   We watched as the deer made their way to the top of the field and back into the woods.   Not fifteen minutes later, a cacophony of coyote sounds broke the silence!  Several coyotes could be heard not far from where the deer had been.  The yipping, and yapping continued for many minutes.  I couldn't help but wonder if they had found a fawn, another small deer.  My friend Josie then announced that two of their cows had been missing at last count.  At that point it was of course too late to go looking for them.  Hopefully, they were just misscounted.

This morning, I took Evvy up to the area where we saw the deer.  I figured if there had been anything killed, she would find what ever morsels were left.   But Evvy didn't locate a thing.
So either nothing was killed, or the coyotes left nothing of their kill.

We made a big loop through woods, and fields until we rejoined a walking path in a Monadnock Conservancy property.   Evvy took the opportunity to first wallow in a mud puddle.  Evvy likes to lay in the puddle, then put her muzzle under the water and fling mud and water up into the air.   Later she rinsed in a brook, by once again laying in it.  It makes my job alot easier because if she doesn't rinse I have to rinse her with the hose.  When I use the hose, we both get soaked.

No comments: