Saturday, June 27, 2009

Birds of a Feather



I have Ringo, my sister's dog for the weekend.  He's probably over 100 pounds, with long black fur.  Like Evvy, he is a rescue dog from the Monadnock Humane Society.   I have been making sure he gets plenty of exercise along with Evvy, because they are both VERY energetic.  Yesterday we did a four mile walk over hill and dale.  They discovered this deep puddle, and made the most of their good fortune.  Not too sure it was my good fortune though.  It's actually not that bad, they enjoy the water.  I take them for a morning swim, and an evening swim in brooks near my house.

So what's the white stuff in the other photo?  Well I have this theory that this fungus might be the same stuff that is killing all the bats around here.  I have seen this fungi all over the place, on the ground, on dead trees, everywhere, so why not on the nose's of bats?  I wonder if this fungus attaches to the bats while they hibernate, so they can't clean it off before it gets into their pores? Maybe a biologist could come up with a special "fungus bomb" kind of like a flea bomb, to put in known bat colony hibernation spots.   Or maybe create and environment where the bats could live, but the fungus could not.  Fungi love moist dark places, so do bats. But what about a dry dark place?  I used to live in a big old Victorian house in Keene.  That house was full of bats in the winter.  One winter I caught ten of them.  They slide down the partitions, and through the casement of sliding doors in the parlor.   Anyway, I'm pretty sure the attic where they "hung out" ha, ha, ha,   was very nice and dry.   So I don't know, food for thought I guess.  I am worried about those little guys though.  I haven't seen any for some time.

No comments: