Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting Ready for the Hunt....such as it is

Evvy and I ventured out yesterday looking for likely spots I might like to hunt from next month. I scoured cornfields, found the tree stands of other hunters who had already laid claim to that spot. I looked for deer sign, and didn't find alot. Mostly lots of bear sign, the wider game trails, and piles of skat. There is always something inherently exciting about just looking for a spot, anticipating the hunt. I have yet to bag a deer, and frankly I'm not sure I'd take a shot even. But I do enjoy getting caught up in the whole hunting, fall damp, watching wildlife thing. I watch wildlife anyway, and more often than not come creatures find me first.....like bears. No matter I have never had a bad wildlife encounter, and if I should happen upon one.....well, Gloria Glock comes out.

So on this day, I found a complete deer mandible. It was complete until Evvy took half. Someone who had passed by earlier, had placed the two halves in the crotch of a dead tree. I inspected this jaw bone and determined that the deer was young based on fact that the dentition had little wear, and the size of the bone was quite small. I always wonder how an animal meets its demise whenever I find bones.

This week I will go out alone and sit for a while to see who(what) frequents my chosen spots, and when.

No comments: