Monday, November 01, 2010

Halloween Road Trip, etc.

Last Sunday, just f or kicks, I drove up to the White Mountains. Though Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, I wasn't in the mood for scary. I made a loop around the national forest, shooting photos as I went.


My primary motivation was to see some snow.
I saw this Red Fox on the road to the Cog Railway. He wasn't very afraid of me. I found out later, that people feed the Foxes. There are signs up discouraging people from feeding the wild animals.
The "faceless" Man of the mountain.

Here's a good look at the valley with snow falling atop the peaks. Not a leaf on any tree.
I made a whirlwind trip of it, as I am often wont to do. I would have liked to go for a hike, but I was ill prepared for the elements. The weather changes so fast up there, and it was cold to begin with, so I stayed pretty much inside my warm truck. I did make quick dashes outside to take pictures. I will say the White Mountains at this time of year, seem desolate. I rarely saw people driving around, or even on the Kancamangus Hwy. I expect this will all change when the snow has accumulated.

As I left the Mt Washington valley for home, I took a leisurely tour down through Tilton as Trick 'or Treaters made their way around town for sweet treasure. I recalled doing the same thing when I was a kid. We would fill up pillow cases full(or at least a third) of candy. It was heaven on earth. Driving around this night, I wondered if I could get away with trick or treating again. I still have an insatiable sweet tooth.

Darkness soon enveloped me and my truck. I was encapsulated and safe from goblins. I should not stop lest the boogie monster aka "the lurking" catch me. Thankfully, I made it home safe and sound. Who knows where my next impromptu journey will take me?

No comments: