Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Big Day Tomorrow

The view from my stand.
So tomorrow marks the start of firearms season for deer hunting in New Hampshire. Each year I learn alittle more about what to do, and what not to do. This year I bought a tree stand at Dick's Sporting Goods. Then I got the climbing sticks: 20 feet worth. Got the parachute cord to hoist all my stuff up to the stand. The stand came with a harness, and relief restraint should I end up dangling in the breeze. Last week, I ventured out to find the perfect spot. I put it up the first time, next to a corn field. Then I thought, no it's too close to the logging road, someone will find it, and steal it. Not only that, my neighbor rode up on her horse while I was under construction.....I felt like my secret had been revealed. So down it all came, back in the truck, and up behind my house on Sheep Hill. There is a wide open area with a great view of Vermont to the west. This property has been for sale for a long time, so I didn't think I would see any other activity there. The picture above is the view from my stand. There is quite bit of deer skat around, lots of tracks too. I didn't see any scraps or rubs. So I made a scrape, and drizzle the ole "Doe in Heat" lure on it. I climbed up into the stand. Within a few minutes, what do I hear? A frigging skidder about 200 yds above on the granite ledge. I was dumbfounded. Why now? Site work began, and a wider access to the view was being created. I am praying this activity will not be happening today or tomorrow. What a disappointment.
This is my stand in it's current location on Sheep Hill. Hopefully the recent site work won't be an issue. If it is, I am resolved to go back to hunting from the ground. I went for a walk around the old location this morning. Lots of bear sign, and not so much deer sign. But game trails everywhere. The bear skat was mostly seeds of some kind, not birdseed though. There is always a place to plunk down, and wait. Wait, I will, and I'll bring my camera in case I get too chicken to kill a deer. BTW.... yes I know my ladder is up-side down. I noticed it while I was climbing up. Thankfully, the pegs don't turn down so much that I slide off.

No comments: