Saturday, April 12, 2008

A breath of spring



The weatherman called for rain all weekend. But what a wonderful surprise! Temperatures in the upper 60's, and partly sunny. I'll take it. I pushed the last big chunk of ice off my deck, broke up a sizable chunk in front of my shed, and did some raking(around snow that won't give in). It's the kind of day where you just want to breathe in the fresh spring air. I did just that, and I'm not done yet. I'll probably go out for my daily jog in a bit too. The only drawback I've found is the pollen in the air. My eyes are burning from it, but it's a non-issue.

The bird is a White-throated Sparrow, and I;m pleased to say that he and many other birds are back. I spoke with a friend yesterday who saw Snow Geese flying up the Connecticut River. I've seen them there as well, but not this year...yet. In Keene, the spring peepers are singing once more, and that is truly one of my favorite sounds. Many of the vernal pools in Walpole are still partly covered with ice, so we'll have to wait a bit longer to the frogs up here. No matter, I'm just so grateful to have spring back, and winter GONE!

No comments: