Friday, April 18, 2008

Far Hills


I had a chance to take a mountain bike ride the other day. I make a point of staying on the drier trails this time of year, to keep my impact on the land at a minimum. I usually enjoy alittle bushwhacking while I explore uncovered paths. It's neat to wandered off a logging road to follow a well-worn deer trail. I found several sizable vernal pools complete with chirping frogs.

I rode around the edges of a couple large hay fields, and saw a lone deer who had seen me long before I saw him. He stood very still for a long time, then quietly bounced away, tail in the air. I took this photo facing the Vermont ski areas. You can still see the snow covered ski runs. What a great view, and so peaceful. In the distance I heard a Barred Owl calling. Perfect.

No comments: