Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Indian Summer?


Hard tellin. We didn't have much of a summer, and fall has been unseasonably cold. But today, at 60 degrees, it was spectacular, and perfect for a mountain bike ride. I haven't been out for a ride in quite a while, so I take less risks, and go much slower down the hills. Normally, I would just sail down those wooded paths. Now the leaves have covered rocks, and roots, so it becomes more precarious. Maybe it's that I'm getting older and the thought of injury is daunting.

I rode up to the High Blue vista which is one of my favorite overlooks near Carpenter Hill. I had looked the area up in the History of Walpole. I found that it had been referred to as "Sunset Rock", as many west facing vistas are. I could clearly see Mt Snow in the distance.

Meanwhile, Evvy enjoyed waiting anxiously at the back door for any chipmunk that might happen by. She's "good like that". She always lets me know when there's a chipmunk at the bird feeder. Evvy tries with all her might to dig through the french doors, barking the whole time. Quite startling actually when you're otherwise occupied with reading quietly.

No comments: