Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mt Gilboa



I think this has been the worst year yet for tick infestations. Every single time I've been out with Evvy, ticks have found us. I check my pant legs often while I'm walking. The other day, I removed no less than six ticks from my pant legs at various points in the walk. Today I found two on me, and two on Evvy when we returned from our walk. I am careful to avoid tall grass, and especially goldenrod plants that hang over the trail. Ticks seem to love those plants.

Anyhow, this morning was fresh on Mt. Gilboa. There had been rain yesterday, so everything smelled so good. Wouldn't it be great to bring that freshness into the house? I put a bright fluorescent yellow jacket and bell on Evvy for her safety, as hunters are in our midst. We walked to the top of Mt. Gilboa which is pretty much in Westmoreland to the southwest of Christian Hollow. The top photo isn't the ocean, but you might think that if you look quick. It's the Cold River mine in Westmoreland, easily accessible from a well worn ski mobile/logging road that runs from the Rapids Rd. in Walpole over to Rte 12 in Westmoreland to Mac's Convenience Store.

When we first arrived at the mine, I thought of an old movie, "Planet of the Apes" don't ask me why. It looked so barren at first, moon-like. But in the sunshine, it was soooo warm. I could have taken a nap on one of those flat boulders. I could see Highland Hill to the south, and several peaks to the west. I always wonder if there are trails to walk all of those hills. I'd like to find out.

The second photo is a plant that I found. The area is loaded with this fragrant plant. When you crush the leaves, it smells like lemon. I'm sure I've smelled this in some handcrafted soap. I don't know what it is. Maybe a fern of some kind? The leaves are leathery, and the stock has a reddish color. If you know what it is, let me know. I couldn't find it in my wildflower or fern guides.


No comments: