Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Hike

How scary is this! This is the exact kind of tick I keep finding on me, and Evvy. As I looked up info on the tick, I found that some call it a "dog tick", some call it a "deer tick". No matter really, any tick can carry diseases. Today only one tick on me, one on Evvy. We drove over to a Nature Conservancy trail off of Rte. 63, not far from here. At the trailhead there are a couple of cellar holes, with a brook running through the site. The trail heads uphill, some steep terrain on this trail. Then we took a trail called "Cave Loop" but I never did see any caves, not even a boulder cave. There was an imposing cliff, and small boulder field. All in all though, just a good workout with sounds of gun fire off to the west. It is hunting season after all. What I did find troubling is this. Someone had defecated off the trail. If you know dogs, then you know what Evvy did. The smell is unmistakable. When we returned to the trailhead, I left a note at the kiosk. There was a sign-in sheet with space for comments. I reminded people to dig a hole and bury their excrement. There's barely anything more gross than riding in a small truck cab with a panting dog who has just eaten human poop.
Have mercy.


No comments: