Saturday, March 20, 2010

Morning Walk with Evvy


Evvy and I went for an early morning walk last Friday. We hadn't really ventured far over the winter. So I drove up over the Whipple Hill Rd to see what was new. I took my fabulous new Nikon D3000 camera. A purchase I surely can't afford, but gave to myself as a gift for an hellacious couple or three weeks prior. I looked for artistic compositions in everything. Evvy was content to run around smelling the spring time smells. To her it must have been like being a kid in a candy store. I could hear Tom Turkeys gobbling in the distance. I called to them, but my hen call seems to have been more of a strangled cat sound. Needless to say, no Turkeys came our way.

We continued down the old Rapids Road, now just accessible by snowmobiles, ATV and four wheel drives. Only the slightest bit of snow and ice remain. Evvy took full advantage of any melting snow she could find. She loves to roll and slide herself along the snow like an Otter.
Pretty funny actually.

There is a stream that runs from Whipple Hill down to Rapids Rd. Just past the sand pit entrance, I followed the stream back up hill. There is what appears to be an old dam. With the spring run-off, a beautiful waterfall had been created over the stones. I got some great close-ups of moss, and evergreen ferns. I must have taken close to 50 photos. I couldn't wait to return home and check the pictures out on my computer. 

After Evvy had sufficiently smelled the smells, chased chipmunks, and eat nasty things, she headed for the truck. I heard Red-Winged Blackbirds, and now I am sure Spring has sprung.
I have started seeds of Tomatoes, Burpless cucumbers, Basil, Rosemary, Lemon balm, and a flower I don't remember the name of. My little seedlings are already sprouted, and will soon have to be transplanted to pea pots. That is if the cats don't eat them, I may actually have some good plants to put out after last frost.

No comments: