Friday, March 04, 2011

Beyond Center Pond

On wednesday, I decided to explore the back side of Center Pond to search for Moose, and/or Deer sign. I didn't bring Evvy because I knew there would be a fairly thick icy crust, and I didn't want her legs to get cut up. The snow out there is four feet deep, more in the drifts.

I thought for sure I'd find deer yards near the end of Center Pond where there is open, running water leading to Chandler Meadows. 

At the bridge on this woods road, I beared off to the right to get closer to the thick brush. Thank god I had snow shoes on. I would never have been able to navigate through this deep snow. I worked my way in to the brush, and out the other side to mostly upland hardwoods, and also spruce. I didn't see a single sign. 

This old Farmall tractor sits awaiting summer, when it will/maybe start and drag felled trees back to camp.

I kept moving north and west along the slope, and came across two rustic camps with no conveniences. I imagined these hangouts would be great get-a-ways in the summer. At the second camp, I followed a trail made with nylon rope, cut in 10" lengths and fashioned into pigtails. Each pigtail was tied to a branch along the way. Soon the wind picked up, and skies grew dark, and squalls of snow blew in. One squall after another came through for about fifteen minutes each time.

I followed the pigtail trail to the "main" woods road that leads eventually toward Robinson Hill.  There are a few trails that break away from the main trail.  I chose to turn left and return to the bridge, where I would go down to Chandler Meadow.   I made my way down to the relief of flatness on the meadow/swamp.   I snowshoed along the snow covered ice, as the wind blew stink.  The wind nearly blew me over.  If the ice had been clear of snow, I would have enjoyed sliding along with the wind.  The snow squalls continued, but I was determined to find some sign of life out there.   I got on to one of the small islands, where I found a moose trail.  A single moose trail.  Nothing recent, but some good rubs on the shrubby spruce trees.   I left the island and headed for an area of thick blueberry bushes and alders.   Lots of places where antlers had been thrashing the plants, but no tracks.  No deer tracks either.   I think chances of finding sheds in this area will be better once some of the snow melts.  Still, I need to focus on habitat, and terrain to locate the moose and deer yards.  I'm getting closer.  I do fear though, that the winter kill this year will be far-reaching.

No comments: