Monday, March 21, 2011

Sullivan Bushwhack II


Sunday Evvy and I headed back to the Sullivan/Stoddard boundary near Woods Mill.  There a substantial wetland there, so I thought it would be prime Moose territory.  Quite a bit of snow has melted, but there is still over a foot in many places.  So I put the snowshoes on.  We were out there around 11:00 a.m.   I didn't see any other hiking tracks, so I was hopeful that I might be the first to look for Moose sheds.....any sheds for that matter.  There was a rumor that this area is a hot spot for sheds.  Well.....not
today.  I found a place full of recent activity, but I determined that it was two Moose.  A cow, and her yearling.  There were hanging out in the spruces, and mucky spots.  Plenty of sign, but no rubs, so I was disappointed.  So I shifted my thought to just exploring the wetland, and all it offered.  It was a perfect "sunny 16" (f16) day.  

Mallard drake

I was drawn to the water, as was Evvy.  She walked right into the reeds and laid right down.   A shiver ran down my spine.  But she is a water rat for sure.  We stopped at a clearing, and I sat on a large boulder at the edge of the river that passes through the wetland.  I just sucked the marrow out of the day.  Evvy discovered a chipmunk under the boulder.  She spend some time trying to get that chippy out.  At one point, I could see only her tail from atop that rock.   In the "end" she never did get the chipmunk.

We worked our way around half the area, not concentrating on Moose sheds so much as enjoying the scenery.   I saw a lone Mallard drake floating around.  I wondered if he had been in a flock.  Just what was his story?  The brilliant green of his head and neck was a beautiful flash of color amongst the browns, grays, and blue of the sky.  I'm so thankful spring is breaking out in bits and pieces like this.

No comments: