Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Successful Shed Hunt

Small Moose antler, missing three points.



First, this morning 6:30 a.m.  the march of the white tails.  For the last couple of weeks, two small herds of deer have graced the hill across the road from my house.  They first emerged when the hillside was clear of snow.  Ever since then, they have come in the evening just before dusk.  Now they are coming out after dawn.  In the morning, they move from north to south.  In the evening, just the opposite.  All the deer (10-12) appear vigorous, and quite lively.  I have to attribute their good health to a neighbor on Cochrane Rd., who feeds the deer through the    winter.

Yesterday, Evvy and I drove up to Lempster.  We had it on good authority, that we might find some Moose sheds in the vicinity of a "certain undisclosed" road.   So I chose a random spot to park beside the road near a snowmobile trail.  By the way, still plenty of snow up there to snowmobile on.  I put the snowshoes on, and we were off.  I took a reading on my compass, and headed east along the trail.  I looked for Moose tracks crossing the trail, but saw only a few. Evvy of course was content running down the trail, and off the trail.   Suddenly, she appeared from the woods, carrying this shed!  I threw my hands up in the air, and shouted, "yes!".  Evvy was not eager to give up her prize.  She would have been happy as a clam, to gnaw on that antler.  But I grabbed it, and tied up on my back.  I asked Evvy where the other antler was.  She headed down to where she found the first.  I followed, and tried to find the other, or any antlers.  We didn't find the it.  So we continued on down the trail, up hill, and down.  I decided to walk a large square area, and return to the trail later on.   I was limited on time, so I covered only a few square acres.   Occasionally, I would pop out near a house.  I had hoped to be deeper in the woods.  The antler we found was relatively near a road, and a house, along a sunny slope with stands of young Beeches.  On the opposite side of the trail, thicker woods of Spruce, White Pine, and some oaks.  We came upon a bog where it was easy to walk with snowshoes.  I was sure this would be a gold mine.  But it wasn't to be.  Evvy continued to forage for Snowshoe hare, which seem to be plentiful in that area.  Evidently, she was less interested in antlers.  I think the snow is still pretty deep, maybe too deep to find the big sheds.  I will continue the search nevertheless.


1 comment:

Karen said...

Have you ever canoed Nubanusit Lake, located in Harrisville NH? I captured great footage of an eagle nesting there about 3 years ago.