Sunday, June 03, 2007

Scottish Games anyone?


Yesterday, I went off to Jaffrey, NH with my sister and her two kids, Nathan and Jenny to see what the heck Scottish Games are.
Most of the men, and some women who participate in these unusual antics wear "Kilts". Each kilt bears the colors of their ancestral clan. There was even a New Hampshire tartan(the words for "the clan colors"), which is purple and black. Among the games, men tossed heavy objects to see how far they could toss. These guys, some very big burly guys in skirts, tried their best to even toss a taber. The taber is a long pole, which appears to weigh quite a bit as a few guys lifted it up only to have it fall backwards behind them. At that moment, the toss is over. Next tosser please!

There were delicacies such as Haggis, and Bridies. I passed on both, and opted for the shortbread cookies. Cookies are always a safe bet. We watched an "in period dress" clan village live as they would have pre-1800 in Scotland. A woman was cooking up a fine porridge of smoked haddock! She was sure to tell us when they said, "peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old", they meant it. The porridge stays in the pot, over a fire for as long as there is food in it. Stuff is added every day depending on what is around, like venison? quail? rabbit? and wild onions.

I could have stayed all day. The music and festivities were very entertaining. Never a shortage of things and people to watch.
I look forward to the Highland Games up in the White Mountains, I understand THEY are even better.

On a more somber note....I have still not found my dog. :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sad every day about Izzy. Did you search the woods around where she was hit? Ursus.