Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Back to reality


This handsome bird is one of several kinds of Lorikeet. He and many others live in the aviary at Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, FL. I went to the zoo on Friday amidst spotty showers, but it was a pleasant experience nonetheless. Many of the exhibits were being renovated so I did not get to see the Tigers, as I'd hoped. I wanted to check on the height of the fence, after the news of an attack on three people a couple months ago in another zoo. I'm convinced those fellows antagonized the tiger, so she went after them.

Anyhooo I enjoyed the zoo immensely, especially the birds. I took several pictures which I'll try to share with you if my dial-up connection cooperates. I spent a good amount of time in the J.B. Starkey wilderness park also. Starkey is just a mile and a half from my mom's house in New Port Richey, FL. There is a bike path that passes through the park for 6.5 miles. The path hooks up with the Suncoast Trail which will take you all the way to Tampa! I was wishing I had my road bike, but my mom's beach comber single speed worked just fine.

Whenever I am in Starkey, I see wildlife, without fail. I was able to approach a deer, and take a video clip within about 15 yards. She was very small, as are most Florida White Tail deer. I thought about how comfortable she seemed to be despite my approaching on a bicycle. I wonder if the rangers feed the deer? I have found deer feeding stations in the past, just beyond the park boundary. Those feeding stations were privately owned, and not by the rangers.


I saw several Armadillos meandering through the Palmettos. Armadillo have both bad eyesight, and hearing, so it's very easy to approach them, and even touch them.

I'm back home now. Back to the snow, ice, and mud. Spring is fast approaching. I can hardly wait to smell those Lilacs, and hear the Spring Peepers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have gotten together while you were in FL. Maybe next time??? When will you move down this way to enjoy all the wonderful wildlife that you love so much???

Jim & Brenda

Natural Eye Artistry said...

I know. The week flew by. I felt like I just got there, and I had to leave.
As for moving down there....I'm on the fence about that. Time will tell.