Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blooms of spring



Rather than my usually three mile "jog", I went for a hike up back yonder, over Sheep Hill(SE) to the Rapids Rd. Rapids Rd. is a class 6 road used by hunters, snowmobiles, and wilderness wanderers like myself. I always find things to look at when I'm wandering. Today was no different. I love the spring blooms, which include the Flowering Dogwood(Viburnum acerifolium) top, and the Trillium(Trillium sessile). The dogwoods are oriental-like with their flat clusters of white flowers, and sparse green mapleleaf shaped leaves. One of these days I'll paint them in water color. I noticed the Star Flowers were aching to open up too. Star Flowers are yellow and grow in moist forest soil. The Stiff Moss was brilliant green, and many ferns were unfurling.

I didn't spy any creatures on this trip, then again I was moving right along. I have noticed more Porcupines lately, and I'm told it's because there is a shortage of Fishers! Fishers love to eat Porcupines, so now the Porkies are flourishing. Watch your outhouses! Porcupines love to munch on plywood walls!

No comments: