Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pinheads and Bearded Hen Turkeys



Another glorious spring day, and perfect for mountain biking. After I mowed my dust bowl, I hopped on my mountain bike and headed for Mine Ledge Rd.(north), then to London Rd. in Westermoreland. I located a rarely used trail that I know of. The trail travels westerly, toward a place locally known as "Windgate". In 2004, a conservation area was established there in memory of Phillip Faulkner, Jr. The trail is dotted with several cellar holes, and the ever present stone walls. I know of at least two "pinheads" out there. Pinheads are mounds of stone piles. The one in the background, was painstakingly piled to perfection. Whoever put the granite squares there knew just how to pile them, so they wouldn't topple. I found another, not pictured that was more deteriorated, and constructed of round stones like you would find in a stream bed. If you "double-click" on the photos, you can get a closer look.

The turkey photo comes to me compliments of a friend in Westmoreland. He is lucky enough to have not one, but two hens frequenting his yard. The interesting thing about these turkey hens is, that they have beards. Although not unheard of, a little rare, and unfortunately for these girls, makes them fair game for hunters. Tom turkeys are easily recognized by their longer beards, and colorful combs. Additionally, they have a beautiful display of tail feathers while courting. Bruce tells me this hen's beard was at least two inches long. Perhaps an androgenous turkey hen? :-) I would be curious to see her offspring, and how they develop.

No comments: