Saturday, May 10, 2008

Endless Falls


After having enough of house chores, I decided to explore a falls I noticed the other day. I was walking my bike up Joslin Rd. in Surry. I saw a beautiful falls to the west, but I had to press on because of time constraints. I returned there today. WOW! I went to the first falls, only to find yet another upslope. I walked up to that falls, and then another, and another. Each falls more impressive than the first. The ravine grew deeper and deeper. Lush with mosses and ferns. If you didn't know better, you might think you were in a rainforest. Just spectacular really.

I came upon a winter deer kill. All that was left was a huge spread of deer fur and shattered bone.
It was easy to find bone shards because they were so white against the brown leaves. The deer path was nearby. The path was well worn, and traversed the steepest parts of the ravine. These deer certainly have no fear of heights.

I found an old engine in the bed of the brook. I could only imagine how long it had been there. It was not of this era, very large, with huge pistons. I continued along hoping to find the headwaters of this beautiful place. I emerged in a pasture at the foot of a huge hill. At the top of the hill, Merriam Rd. intersects with Joslin Rd. in Surry. I found a deer stand, one of those that you can climb the tree with. I noticed a strange plastic bag hanging from a branch next to the stand. The liquid was a translucent red color, and I could only imagine what it might be. GROSS! Guys have some strange routines when it comes to using the ole deer stand.

Just a bit further and I found a snowmobile trail. This trail is accessible from the Old Walpole Rd. or from the Pond Rd. in Surry. Perhaps I'll return with my mountain bike and ride that trail. All in all a nice short hike, with beautiful waterfalls all the way. Some tricky bouldering. But if you wear rubber soled shoes, and aren't afraid of heights, it's worth the climb. Heavy hiking boots are too stiff I learned. I'll post more pictures of the falls later. I took many!

No comments: