Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Is Only a week away?!

With so many other things going on, it's hard to believe Christmas is next Thursday!  Last weekend we had an horrific ice storm that has left many without power even now.  In talking with many people,  I have learned how far-reaching the damage goes.  People have had to pack up, and leave their homes.  At the Humane Society, we have taken several dogs and cats into "emergency boarding" because their owners can't take their pets to shelters, or relative's homes.   I heard about one man who lost all his tropical fish because the fish tank got so cold!  I was called to care for some horses because their owner couldn't get back up to Walpole.  I didn't survive unscathed either.  My sump pump, powerless, could not remove water that would ordinarily be no problem.
      I awoke early Friday morning, to the shrill alarm of water in the basement.  From that point on, I was running my generator, making frequent trips to Bellows Falls, VT for gas.   Finally the power came back on at noon on Saturday.  But many, many more are still without power.  Some people have no other heat source either, so they must go to local shelters or relative's homes. When the power does come back on for these people, they risk bursting water pipes!  It's just aweful.  I am left to wonder what kind of winter we are entering?   As I write this, snow is falling.  I had to shovel for the first time this winter.  It is beautiful despite all the hardship we have endured so far.

No comments: