Monday, December 29, 2008

Ringo and Evvy


Here are Ringo(my sister's dog) and Evvy enjoying their "Bully sticks", giving ME a break.  I have Ringo through the holidays.  When the two dogs are together, not chewing, all havoc breaks loose.  They are much like children, and require constant supervision.  The wrinkles are being ironed out, as I learn to keep them busy.  Soda has been spilled, cats have been chased, bedlam has befallen my house.  But it is a pleasure to have them both here.  We go out first thing in the morning, well after they eat. Sometimes we go before light, for the morning walk.   We return somewhat less energetic, and settle down for a good chew.  Then depending on where I have to go, they are relegated to their crates.  When I return in the evening, they eat, and we do the evening walk.  Evvy doesn't let up on Ringo for a second, always chasing him.  Try as he may to enjoy a roll in the snow, or a swim in the brook, Evvy is right there to bug him.  It's kind of funny because the tables have been turned on Ringo, who is usually the antagonist with the Rumrill cats, and mine for that matter.  But Ringo has his paws full with my little Ev.

The snow  has melted alot the last couple days, and I'm thankful!  I have more choices for places to walk the dogs.  And frankly, my back has had enough of the shovelling!  I really have enjoyed the warm, spring-like air in the evening.  It's so fresh and clean smelling(that was corny! but true).

Now that the Christmas holiday is over, we can all get back to the more normal pace hopefully. On Christmas eve at about 4:00 a.m. a great wind blew and knocked a white pine down in my yard.  My power and phone lines were taken down.   Several appliances in my house were fried! The fire department came to make sure my house wouldn't burn down.  I had shut the main breaker off quickly, as I smelled electrical burning.   My power was restored six hours later, and I got my phone back Sunday morning.   I kept myself  busy running the chainsaw, and cutting up that pine.   It was hard work, but satisfying to know that I could do this.   I was thankful that my house didn't catch on fire.  Despite the mini-trial, I did have a very nice Christmas.  I traveled to Chesterfield to spend Christmas with my family.+

This last Sunday I was reminded that Christmas continues for twelve days starting on the 25th of December.  I really wish we could all spend more time thinking about the true meaning of the holiday, and less about all the things we receive on the 25th.  Thinking about the birth of Christ and the days that follow is grounding to me.

Happy Hopeful New Year!

No comments: