Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bobcats Among us!


That's right I saw a Bobcat while out mountain biking on Mt. Gilboa.  Though I didn't take this picture, the cat I saw looked very much like him.  I had been bushwhacking my way down the west side of the mountain after following a lame logging trail.  The trail ended, but I decided to forge ahead through the woods, circling back around to the original trail(NH snowmobile trail 5).  I came out in a swampy area near the railroad bed that parallels Rte. 12 in Westmoreland.
I was running way behind schedule, so I had to really haul.  Lactic acid was building up all over my legs and butt.   But I was determined to make it back to my house in time to get to my class.
I rode back up to the trail #5 which was significantly easier than the bushwhacking excursion I'd just completed.   I was rolling along slowly and silently when I noticed the large cat walking away from me down the trail.  He had no idea I was there.  He looked like he wished it was about 20 degrees cooler, as he ambled along.  When I got to within 15 yds of the cat, he turned back to look at me.  What a sight!  Those black tipped ears, and what big feet!  He froze for a millisecond, then he launched himself into bounding away from me and down the trail.  I had hoped to see a Bear, but seeing this Bobcat was even better.

No comments: