Sunday, May 24, 2009

Jane Doe Revisited


I have just about finished my facial reconstruction of the Delaware skull.  I walk past her every day, and wonder just how far the modeling should go.  I will add some eyelashes, and smooth out the surface to make it more realistic.  When it's finished, I'll take a set of photos, then break the whole thing down.  I will send it, and a set of photos back to Delaware.  Hopefully we will learn who this person was, and what happened to her.

In addition to working on my sculpture I  have also continued to spend lots of time in the woods.  The mosquitos have been relentless especially first thing in the morning.  They seem impervious to even repellent.  I have seen Prothonotary Warblers, Scarlet Tanager, and Magnolia Warblers to name a few.   Northern Orioles are abundant as well.  I have seen them in bloom adorned apple trees.   There are two pair of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at my feeder now.  They are entertaining as they fight for a spot at the nectar.  I also have a Robin  nesting right outside my window.  It has been a treat watching as she feeds her little ones.  The other day she fought off a Catbird.  I watched as the Catbird was stunned, then fallen to the lawn below.  The Catbird was unharmed and soon flew away. But that bird learned quickly not to mess with Mrs. Robin.

This morning bright and early, a small group of cyclists from my church, took such a pleasant, tranquil ride along River Rd. in Walpole.  We past farm and field, time and again.  A very leisurely pace enabled us to carry on conversations, remarking at our motivation so early in the day.  We all decided the beauty of the landscape and the opportunity to get some exercise, was well worth waking up early.

No comments: