Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shinbone Shack




Last Saturday I joined a very large crowd of hikers at the end of Aten Rd., in Stoddard, NH.  So many people gathered there because of the interesting stories surrounding the late residents.   Perley Swett self proclaimed hermit lived on the property.  He lived a solitary life enjoying the hills and woods of Stoddard.  He even painted his own grave marker, and spot to be buried near his house.  Also on this vast property, a small cabin affectionately known as "Shinbone  Shack" (pic #3).  The cabin has fallen into disrepair, but if you go inside you can still see the brick hearth where two shin bones were inlayed.  The bones have long since been removed, and the cabin is unhabitable.  Nearby, a much larger palatial Adirondack style cabin (pic #1) was built in the 1930's.  The Great Depression put a halt to the construction, but it was later completed for one of the Aten women.  She never saw the finished cabin as she had passed away beforehand.  This beautiful home features a large pond with stone grinding wheels adorning the shore line.  Inside the cabin, a great room in the center has an open cathedral ceiling with rough hewn log supports and a beautiful stone fireplace.  There is ample room for many people to stay or visit.  The kitchen has been updated over the years, and the nostalgic lighting is gas lamps on the walls.

On Sunday, I hiked Mt. Kearsarge in Warner, NH.  The roundtrip hike was over 8 miles.  My hips, back, and knees are still feeling the stiffening affects.  Despite an overcast and cool day, there was a beautiful view from the top.  The bonus was to find several patches of Pink Lady Slippers (pic. #2) along the way.  I took a photo of one patch that have begun to blossom.  I always thought Lady Slippers bloomed in June, but what a great surprise to see them in May.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome site, I hadn't come across naturaleyeartistry.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Keep up the wonderful work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at naturaleyeartistry.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Alex

Anonymous said...

Greetings,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at naturaleyeartistry.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from this post above if I give a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
William

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at naturaleyeartistry.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post above if I provide a link back to this website?

Thanks,
Jack