Monday, May 25, 2009

Wild Flowers


Evvy and I drove up to Scovill Rd. which is the south side of Derry Hill, where there is a Forest Society easement.  We've been here a million times, winter and summer.  We never get tired of the  beautiful view from the High Blue vista.   Today was extra special because we found a Grouse nest, in a place I wouldn't have considered.  She had perched herself in a very sandy, rooty, fallen tree.  It's difficult to explain, but she had a well worn furrow in the sandy roots making it nearly impossible to see her.....that is until Evvy disturbed her.  Thankfully, no eggs in the nest.

Next we  came across some excellent Pink Ladyslipper specimens, only two plants.   When we got to the High Blue, we were greeted by two other hikers and their dogs.  I had heard them before we arrived, so I put the leash back on Evvy.  Evvy has no manners, she will dash up to any dog or human, and want to play.  I have yet to figure how to stop this, but I will.  After exchanging pleasantries, we left the vista with barely a pause.  

My mother asks me nearly every day if I've see the Mayflowers yet.  I finally found them by smell.  All along the trail these fragile looking little white flowers lay, with such sweet fragrance(above photo).  Had I not picked one and smelled it, I might never have known.  I did however look it up in my wildflower guide the minute I returned home, just to confirm.

One final thought on this Veteran's Day (observed), I remember as I'm sure you all do, the many, many fallen soldiers who have fought so diligently for our freedom.  "God bless America, my home sweet home".

Amendment: My mother looks at my blog and corrects me if I am mistaken in my identifications.  So, she tells me the flower pictured is "Ground Nut", not the May Flower that she knows.   In my wildflower book, this flower is identified as Canada Mayflower.  

No comments: