Monday, May 04, 2009

New Arrivals Daily


It seems each day I discover another spring arrival.  Yesterday a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird arrived at the feeder.  I had put it out a week earlier in anticipation.  The Black-throated Green Warbler pictured, has also arrived with several other warblers.  This morning I was fortunate to see a Barred Owl at fairly close range, about 20'.  The bird soured low over my head an alit on a  branch to stare watchfully down at me.  Then I saw a Red-headed Wood-pecker which are usually seen alittle further south in Massachusetts.  I was wishing I had a camera that worked at that point.  Something has gone awry with the one I have, so I can't download photos from it.

Evvy and I have spent countless hours walking in the woods keeping our eyes peeled for anything neat, from cellar holes, to bones, to pieces of cars, and even a snowmobile key!  
I rode my mountain bike up to the quarry I know in Surry.  It's 7.25  miles round trip.  I like to go check up there to see what has been tossed in over the winter.  I am happy to report, no plastic snowmen.  But there  was a round float, like the kind you would use to slide on snow.
I wondered if someone had gone swimming? or floating in that cesspool.  I noticed several very large Bull frogs holding on to the flotsam.  I swear the frogs are as big as rats!

The tadpoles have popped out of their gelatinous blobs. I look forward to their future development, back legs, then front legs, tail reductions and finally becoming amphibious.
I'm so  happy that Spring is springing in such grand form.

No comments: